Labconscious Supports sustainable laboratory Design and green lab initiatives
Labconscious is an open community to support researchers collaborating on sustainability and green lab initiatives to reduce the environmental footprint of bench science.
We (are scientists and we) get it: in our common pursuit of advancing scientific knowledge, assays must be run, reagents consumed and biohazard bags filled. Many of our methods produce significant waste and high energy consumption. Simple changes in our lab practices can promote sustainability, without compromising results.
Our mission at Labconscious is three fold:
1. Raise awareness by sharing ideas, protocols, and best practices
2. Empower scientists to make changes at their bench, in their lab, and across their work space
3. Inspire scientists to join the movement and teach others
How You Can Participate
Does this sound interesting to you? There are a number of ways that you can be involved. You can do any or all of the following:
- Subscribe to our blog (click 'subscribe' on the blog page)
- Follow our social channels (click on the social icons in the footer)
- Share this website with your colleagues and friends
- Submit ideas for blogs or tips for being green in the lab
- Post photos or comments to social channels using #labconscious
- Let us know about any cool stories or projects that relate to lab sustainability
New England Biolabs consistently demonstrates its commitment to the environment through pro-active initiatives. Labconscious is proud to have their support as we strive to make a better world through better labs.
Editor: Nicole Kelesoglu
Nicole Kelesoglu has previous lab experience in cell biology, microbiology and molecular biology. She is a science writer with subject expertise in epigenetics and sustainable lab practices. Nicole has a great love for nature and the fine arts.
Writer: Erin E. Fry
PhD Graduate Student in Human Genetics, University of Chicago. Founder and Director of UChicago GreenLabs
Writer: Seth Levin
Seth Levin has spent his career working in and writing about the intersection of environmental stewardship and business. He has worked in the fields of socially responsible investing, sustainable business consulting, corporate philanthropy and renewable energy. When he is not in the office you can find him surfing the shores of Oahu where he currently resides.